Financial Support for Open Access Publishing
Adelphi University offers funding to authors to help pay open access publishing fees and similar fees related to the dissemination of creative works.
Faculty members may apply for support by completing the web application below. Once completed, the faculty member’s dean’s office will receive and review the request. If approved, the provost’s office will review the request. Upon approval, the request will be submitted to University Libraries for implementation. Where possible, Adelphi University will pay a publisher directly rather than asking a faculty member to pay a publisher and then be reimbursed.
In addition to APCs, authors may encounter other expenses related to publication, such as costs for illustrations, reprints, or expenses particular to publications of creative works in other media formats such as the arts. These types of requests will be considered and supported, where appropriate.
If you wish to consult with University Libraries prior to submitting your work to a publication outlet, you may do so by e-mailing Ken Herold.
- be the article’s corresponding author,
- have no funds from external grant funders that allow grant funds to be used for Article Processing Charges (APCs), and
- make the request promptly and before any payments are made to the publisher.
In the event that an author is not the corresponding author but is being requested to support publication, Adelphi will provide support proportionally so that articles with authors at multiple institutions will share the costs equally.
- The publisher of an open access journal must be a member of the Open Access Scholarly Publishers Association (OASPA) or follow the OASPA code of conduct. The journal should not appear on
Beall’s List of Predatory Open Access Publishers.
- The publisher of a hybrid journal (a traditional journal that offers immediate open access to peer-reviewed works upon payment of an APC) must have a publicly available policy that describes the transition strategy for changing the business model from subscription to open access. If you are unsure whether a journal you are considering qualifies in this category, please contact the Associate Provost for Faculty Advancement and Research.
Adelphi University will limit support to a maximum of $1,500 per article.
For additional information about open access publication or copyright, please consult the LibGuides:
Please log in to submit a request.